APHON Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) Scholarship
APHON is committed to be influential in decision-making affecting the care for children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer and other blood disorders. As a part of this commitment we want to ensure that our members have the knowledge and opportunity to participate in the creation of public policy and advocacy related to nursing, and in particular pediatric hematology/oncology nursing. In that spirit, we are pleased to offer the APHON NIWI Scholarship to APHON members.
NIWI provides nurses with the opportunity to learn how to influence health care through the legislative and regulatory processes. Participants learn from health policy experts and government officials, network with other nurses, and visit members of Congress. Scholarship winners will be expected to share their experiences and expertise with their fellow members, possibly through an article in APHON Counts.
Each APHON NIWI Scholarship will cover registration, lodging, and travel expenses for two APHON members that meet the scholarship eligibility criteria. The APHON Advocacy/Health Policy committee will review all applications and select the two applicants deemed most appropriate as the scholarship recipients.
Eligible nurses will be:
- A registered professional nurse with current, unrestricted license;
- At least two years pediatric hematology/oncology nursing experience;
- A current APHON member (minimum of one year membership);
- New to NIWI, not having attended in the past;
- Willing to share what she or he learned and experienced at this meeting with other APHON members;
- Currently practicing in pediatric hematology/oncology;
- A good communicator, both in writing and orally.