Jean Fergusson Excellence in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing Practice Award
Since 1989, this award, originally titled APON Excellence in Pediatric Oncology Nursing Practice Award, has been offered to recognize a pediatric hematology/oncology nurse for compassion and expertise in clinical nursing practice and for actively incorporating research and new ideas into clinical practice. In 2004, the award was named after Jean Fergusson, a charter member of APHON and a pioneer in the field of pediatric oncology nursing.
The recipient of this award receives a $250 honorarium and recognition at the annual conference business and awards luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- APHON member in good standing.
- Registered nurse with 4 years of direct care experience in pediatric hematology/oncology and currently involved in the direct care of pediatric hematology/oncology patients.
- Clinical practice is consistent with the APHON Scope of Practice and Outcome Standards for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing.
- Practice exemplifies a high level of compassion and specialty expertise as documented by peers and/or patients/family.
- Recognized as an clinical expert as evidenced by contributions to and development of pediatric hematology/oncology nursing.
- Actively incorporates research and evidence from the literature into clinical practice.
- Communicates effectively.
Completed nominations must include the nominee's CV and two letters of recommendations that elaborate on the above criteria. Nominations must be submitted by June 30.
Nominations will open in February and completed nominations must be submitted by June 30.
Meghan Belongia, MSN RN CPNP CPHON®
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- 2015 Emily J. Long, BSN RN CPHON®
- 2014 Deborah L. Robinson, DNP RN
- 2012 Meredith, Lahl, MSN RN PCNS-BC CPON®
- 2011 Tara Malbasa, MSN CPNP CPON®
- 2010 Pamela J. Simon, MSN BSN CPNP CPON®
- 2009 Deborah Lafond, MS PNP-BC CPON®
- 2008 Eva Kyrnski, BSN RN CPON®
- 2007 Leslie L. Griffith, RN
- 2006 Jane Hennessy, MPH RN CNP CPON®
- 2005 Carol Rossetto, CPNP RN CPON®
- 2004 Ria Fewox, RN CPON®
- 2003 Ruth Anne Herring, MSN RN CPNP CPON®
- 2002 Debra Giugliano, RN CPNP
- 2000 Janet Duncan, BSN RN CPON®
- 1999 Janet Veatch, MN RN CPON®
- 1998 Debra S. Rambert, BSN RN
- 1997 Revonda Mosher, MSN RN CPNP
- 1996 Patricia Brophy, MSN CRNP CPON®
- 1995 Brenda Eng, MSN RN
- 1994 Gretchen Ficken, RN CPON®
- 1993 Jami S. Gattuso, MSN RN
- 1992 Patsy McGuire, MS RN CPNP
- 1991 Julie Harper, RN
- 1990 Mary McElwain, MSN RN PNP
- 1989 Ann T. Birkmire, BSN RN