Dr. Nancy E. Kline Mentoring Award
Established in 2016, this award was created in honor of JOPON editor-in-chief Dr. Nancy E. Kline, who passed away from a valiant battle with cancer in 2015. Nancy was a nurse scientist and mentor to many pediatric hematology/oncology nurses. the Dr. Nancy E. Kline Mentoring award is given to an APHON member who demonstrates excellence in mentoring, has been outstanding in supporting, encouraging, and promoting the professional development of others and whose impact has resulted in tangible accomplishments or outcomes in pediatric hematology/oncology nursing.
Recipient receives a $1,000 honorarium and recognition at the annual conference business and awards luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- Registered professional nurse who demonstrates a long term commitment to mentoring relationships.
- A member in good standing of APHON for a minimum of 5 years.
- Values lifelong learning and professional development.
- Willingly and enthusiastically shares skills, knowledge and expertise with others.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and serves as a professional role model.
- Provides positive professional influence, guidance, teaching, and support to nurse colleagues.
- Facilitates the successful achievement of an individual mentee's goals and outcomes through the mentoring process.
Completed nominations must be submitted by May 31 and include the nominee's CV and two letters of support from professional nursing colleagues describing the nominee's professional performance and the impact of his/her mentoring. Nominations should include evidence of nominee's success in meeting the above criteria and should include the nominee's mentoring activities and the positive outcomes or results for an individual, group, or project.
2016 & Inaugural Recipient
Dr. Pamela Hinds, PhD RN FAAN
Associate Center Director, Center for Translational Science/Director - Nursing Research and Quality Outcomes
Children's National Medical Center
Presented by current APHON Treasurer Joan O'Hanlon Curry (left) and Past President Deborah Echtenkamp (right).