September 8 is Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses' Day
Established in 2010 by the Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses (APHON), Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses' Day is celebrated each year on September 8. We salute all pediatric hematology/oncology nurses on this day for their life-long commitment to children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer or blood disorders and their families.
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month, and what a fine complement to that month, should we establish a day recognizing those nurses who care for the day-to-day needs of children with cancer and blood disorders, guiding families through the most difficult circumstances anyone can experience.
The Calling of the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurse
We hosted a coffee break series to encourage our community in various areas during Nurses' Week. In 10 minutes, each speaker discussed their area of expertise and left attendees feeling inspired.
Encourage your colleagues to celebrate with you! Download and print these posters for your break-room, office, community boards, and more!
Count Down to America
Ways to Celebrate
Get Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses' Day Recognized at the state level
Local Media Recognition
Have Pediatric Nurses' Day recognized in media outlets.
- Local TV News
- Local Newspapers
- Local Radio
APHON wants to be involved! Share any photos with captions about how your chapter celebrated the day and earn 80 points for each photo submitted (up to 25 photos will earn points).
Have the Day Recognized at Your Hospital
Promote Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses' Day within the institution that supports your chapter in one of the following ways to earn points:
- Intranet posting recognizing the day
- Display Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses' Day posters within the hospital(s) that support your chapter
- Place celebratory balloons in the nursing break rooms
- Ice cream socials or another special treat giveaway
Organize or sponsor a self-care activity for pediatric hematology/oncology nurses
Establish an internal way to recognize pediatric hematology/oncology nurses in institutions that support your chapter. Below are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Issue certificates of appreciation
- Social media posts recognizing a nurse of the day, week or month
- Send an internal e-mail recognizing a nurse of the day, week or month
- Distribute Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses' Day pins or wear them if you already own one
Thank You Program
Create a thank you program for nurses and patients to thank/recognize individual nurses. Below are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Thank you note cards that can be given to individual nurses by colleagues or patients and families.
Chapters may earn points for the Annual Incentive Contest for completing the above tasks.