APHON Early Career Researcher Award
Selected by the APHON Evidence-Based Practice/Research Committee and presented at the annual conference to an APHON member who is an early career nurse scientist. Investigators that received this award have a building record of conducting funded research but have not received NIH RO1 funding, primarily facilitates research by others, or has evidence of contributions to evidence-based knowledge of nursing care of children and their families in hematology/oncology arenas.
The recipient of this award receives a $250 honorarium, recognition at the annual conference business and award luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- APHON member in good standing
- Completion of an independent research project that:
- advances the care of children with cancer and/or hematological disorders and their families
- shows significant promise for development into a program of research that will contribute to the scientific foundation for practice
- Lead author for a data-based abstract accepted for oral presentation at an APHON conference
- May be self-nominated or may have nomination submitted by another APHON member. If a nomination is submitted by another APHON member, the EBP/Research Committee may reach out to the nominee to obtain more detailed information to support evidence of a research portfolio if needed to support the nomination.
Completed nominations must include the nominee's CV and two letters of recommendation that elaborate on the above criteria. Nominations must be submitted by June 30. Current members of the EBP/Research Committee are not eligible for this award.
Kitty Montgomery, PhD RN PCNS-BC CPHON®
- 2020 Brooke Cherven, PhD MPH RN CPON®
- 2019 Kristin Stegenga, PhD RN CPON®
- 2018 Janice Withycombe, PhD RN MN CCRP
- 2017 Lauri Linder, PhD APRN CPON®
- 2015 Stacey Crane, MSN RN CPON®
- 2011 Belinda Mandrell, MSN RN CPNP