Jean Fergusson Excellence in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing Education Award
This award was first presented in 1989 and named in honor of Jean Fergusson, a charter member of APHON and a pioneer in the field of pediatric oncology nursing, this award is presented each year to recognize an outstanding educator in the field of pediatric hematology/oncology nursing through demonstration of proficiency, professional contributions to the field, and positive teacher-learner relationships.
The recipient of this award receives a $250 honorarium, recognition at the annual conference business and awards luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- APHON member in good standing.
- Registered nurse with 4 years of experience in pediatric hematology/oncology and demonstrated proficiency in pediatric hematology/oncology education.
- Contributes to pediatric hematology/oncology education at the local, state, national or international level.
- Educational programs are consistent with the APHON Scope of Practice and Outcome Standards for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing.
- Implements well-developed programs with defined objectives (i.e., current content relevant to pediatric hematology/oncology nursing and appropriate evaluation methods).
- Establishes a positive teacher-learner relationship that promotes and supports pediatric hematology/oncology education.
- Actively incorporates research and evidence from the literature into educational programs.
- Communicates effectively.
Completed nominations must include the nominee's CV and two letters of recommendation that elaborate on the above criteria. Nominations must be submitted by June 30.
Christine Guelcher, MSN PPCNP-BC
- 2021: Anne Raines, MSN RN CPHON®
- 2020: Colleen Nixon, MSN RN CPHON®
- 2019 Kristin Belderson, DNP RN-BC CPON®
- 2018 Marsha Smith, BSN RN-BC CCM CHPPN
- 2017 Vanessa Bertini, MSN RN CPNP CPON®
- 2016 Sheila Buchanan, MS RN CPNP CPHON®
- 2015 Karyn Brundige, MSN RN CPNP ARNP
- 2014 Mary Eliza McEachen, BSN RN CPON®
- 2013 Barbara Lockart, DNP APRN CPON®
- 2012 Joy Hesselgrave, MSN RN CPON®
- 2011 Mary Langevin, RN CPON®
- 2010 Virginia Koepsell, MSN MBA RN CPON®
- 2009 Maureen Haugen, MSN RN PNP CPON®
- 2008 Amy Corey, MSN RN PCNS CPON®
- 2007 Michelle Lynn Burke, MSN RN ARNP CPN CPON®
- 2006 Pia De Zorzi, BSN RN
Michelle Woyce, MSN RN CPNP CPON®
- 2005 Debbie Reid, RN CPON®
- 2004 Belinda Mandrell, MSN RN CPNP
- 2003 Barbara Byrne, MS RN CPNP
- 2002 Lisa Balistreri, BSN RN
- 2001 Patricia Wills Alcoser, MSN RPN CPNP CPON®
- 2000 Cheryl Rodgers, MSN RN PNP CPON®
- 1999 Wendy Landier, MSN RN CPNP
- 1998 Ruth Holecek, BSN RN CPON®
- 1997 Shelly Hando, RN MSN CPON®
- 1996 Sal Leahy, RN CPON®
- 1995 Dori Van Stolk, BScN RN
- 1994 Rita Secola, MSN RN CPON®
- 1993 Wendy Hobbie, MSN RN
- 1992 Ida. Ki Moore, DNS RN
- Kathy Ruccione, MPH RN
- 1991 Debra Wagner, MSN RN
- 1990 Marilyn Hockenberry-Eaton, PhD RN
- 1989 Teresa J. Robinson, RN CPNP