Jean Fergusson Excellence in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing Education Award
This award was first presented in 1989 and named in honor of Jean Fergusson, a charter member of APHON and a pioneer in the field of pediatric oncology nursing, this award is presented each year to recognize an outstanding educator in the field of pediatric hematology/oncology nursing through demonstration of proficiency, professional contributions to the field, and positive teacher-learner relationships.
The recipient of this award receives a $250 honorarium, recognition at the annual conference business and awards luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- APHON member in good standing.
- Registered nurse with 4 years of experience in pediatric hematology/oncology and demonstrated proficiency in pediatric hematology/oncology education.
- Contributes to pediatric hematology/oncology education at the local, state, national or international level.
- Educational programs are consistent with the APHON Scope of Practice and Outcome Standards for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing.
- Implements well-developed programs with defined objectives (i.e., current content relevant to pediatric hematology/oncology nursing and appropriate evaluation methods).
- Establishes a positive teacher-learner relationship that promotes and supports pediatric hematology/oncology education.
- Actively incorporates research and evidence from the literature into educational programs
- Communicates effectively.
Completed nominations must include the nominee's CV and two letters of recommendation that elaborate on the above criteria. Nominations must be submitted by June 30.
- 2019 Kristin Belderson, DNP RN-BC CPON®
- 2018 Marsha Smith, BSN RN-BC CCM CHPPN
- 2017 Vanessa Bertini, MSN RN CPNP CPON®
- 2016 Sheila Buchanan, MS RN CPNP CPHON®
- 2015 Karyn Brundige, MSN RN CPNP ARNP
- 2014 Mary Eliza McEachen, BSN RN CPON®
- 2013 Barbara Lockart, DNP APRN CPON®
- 2012 Joy Hesselgrave, MSN RN CPON®
- 2011 Mary Langevin, RN CPON®
- 2010 Virginia Koepsell, MSN MBA RN CPON®
- 2009 Maureen Haugen, MSN RN PNP CPON®
- 2008 Amy Corey, MSN RN PCNS CPON®
- 2007 Michelle Lynn Burke, MSN RN ARNP CPN CPON®
- 2006 Pia De Zorzi, BSN RN
Michelle Woyce, MSN RN CPNP CPON®
- 2005 Debbie Reid, RN CPON®
- 2004 Belinda Mandrell, MSN RN CPNP
- 2003 Barbara Byrne, MS RN CPNP
- 2002 Lisa Balistreri, BSN RN
- 2001 Patricia Wills Alcoser, MSN RPN CPNP CPON®
- 2000 Cheryl Rodgers, MSN RN PNP CPON®
- 1999 Wendy Landier, MSN RN CPNP
- 1998 Ruth Holecek, BSN RN CPON®
- 1997 Shelly Hando, RN MSN CPON®
- 1996 Sal Leahy, RN CPON®
- 1995 Dori Van Stolk, BScN RN
- 1994 Rita Secola, MSN RN CPON®
- 1993 Wendy Hobbie, MSN RN
- 1992 Ida. Ki Moore, DNS RN
- Kathy Ruccione, MPH RN
- 1991 Debra Wagner, MSN RN
- 1990 Marilyn Hockenberry-Eaton, PhD RN
- 1989 Teresa J. Robinson, RN CPNP