Dr. Nancy E. Kline Mentoring Award
Established in 2016, this award was created in honor of JOPON editor-in-chief Dr. Nancy E. Kline, who passed away from a valiant battle with cancer in 2015. Nancy was a nurse scientist and mentor to many pediatric hematology/oncology nurses. the Dr. Nancy E. Kline Mentoring award is given to an APHON member who demonstrates excellence in mentoring, has been outstanding in supporting, encouraging, and promoting the professional development of others and whose impact has resulted in tangible accomplishments or outcomes in pediatric hematology/oncology nursing.
The recipient receives a $1,000 honorarium and recognition at the annual conference business and awards luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- A registered professional nurse who demonstrates a long term commitment to mentoring relationships.
- A member in good standing of APHON for a minimum of 5 years.
- Values lifelong learning and professional development.
- Willingly and enthusiastically shares skills, knowledge, and expertise with others.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and serves as a professional role model.
- Provides positive professional influence, guidance, teaching, and support to nursing colleagues.
- Facilitates the successful achievement of an individual mentee's goals and outcomes through the mentoring process.
Completed nominations must be submitted by April 30 and include the nominee's CV and two letters of support from professional nursing colleagues describing the nominee's professional performance and the impact of his/her mentoring. Nominations should include evidence of the nominee's success in meeting the above criteria and should include the nominee's mentoring activities and the positive outcomes or results for an individual, group, or project.
Kathleen Ruccione, PhD RN MPH FAAN CPON®
Associate Professor | Department of Doctoral Programs
School of Nursing, Azusa Pacific University
Kathleen Ruccione (center) receives her award from APHON President Susie Burke (left) and President-Elect Joan O'Hanlon Curry (right)
- 2018 Marilyn J. Hockenberry, PhD RN PNP-BC FAAN
- 2017 Dianne Fochtman, PhD RN CPNP
- 2016 Pamela S. Hinds