APHON Excellence in Patient/Family Education Award
This award recognizes an APHON member who is an outstanding patient and family educator and has developed proven practices that help patient and families understand the disease and treatment they face.
The recipient of this award receives a $100 honorarium, recognition at the annual conference business meeting and awards luncheon, APHON Counts, in a press release, and an announcement is sent to the recipient's employer.
Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- An APHON member in good standing.
- Programs are consistent with the APHON Scope of Practice and Outcome Standards for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing.
- Is proficient in pediatric hematology/oncology education because of contributions to pediatric hematology/oncology education at the local, state, national or international level.
- Implements well-developed programs with defined objectives (i.e., current content relevant to pediatric hematology/oncology nursing and appropriate evaluation methods).
- Establishes a positive teacher-learner relationship that promotes and supports pediatric hematology/oncology education.
- Is supportive and contributes to the development of professional pediatric hematology/oncology nursing practices.
Completed nominations must include the nominee's CV and two letters of recommendation that elaborate on the above criteria. Nominations must be submitted by April 30.
- 2013 Ruth Anne Herring, MSN RN CPNP CPHON®
- 2009 Charlotta Marshall, MSN RN
- 2008 Kathy Ruccione, MPH RN FAAN
- 2007 AnnMarie M. Stiefbold, MSN RN CPON®
- 2006 Mary Decker, BSN RN
- 2005 Laura Schlenker, BSN RN
- 2004 Cindy Stutzer, MS RN
- 2003 Janet K. Cavitt, BSN RN CPON®
- 2002 Cindy Stutzer, MS RN
- 2001 Mary Choroszy, MSN RN
- 1999 Wendy Landier, MSN RN CPNP & Tamara Scott, MSN RN CPNP CPON®
- 1998 Kristin L. Dahl, RN CPON®
- 1997 Sue P. Heiney, MN RN CS